Pilot Studies initiatives involve two related Key Functions each with complementary goals:
1. Development of Novel Clinical and Translational Methodologies
Director: Steven Fliesler PhD,
Meyer H. Riwchun Endowed Chair Professor Vice-Chairman and Director of Research Department of Ophthalmology
2. Pilot and Collaborative Translational and Clinical Studies
Director: Leonard Epstein PhD,
SUNY Distinguished Professor of Pediatrics and Social and Preventive Medicine
Click here to see the goals of the programs.
Both pilot studies programs are thriving in large part due to the broad-based institutional support of the leadership of Buffalo Translational Consortium institutions. An active RFA (request for applications) has been circulated with proposals due December 1, 2012. See this link for more details.
A total of $200,000 to support this year's round of pilot studies is a result of the support of the following offices:
- Vice President for Research
- Vice President for Health Sciences
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- Dean, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- Dean, School of Public Health and Health Professions
- Dean, School of Nursing
- Dean, School of Dental Medicine
- Dean, School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
First Annual Clinical and Translational Research Colloquium
The Pilot Studies program directors hosted the first annual colloquium at which last year's awardees presented updates of their work and were recognized as CTRC Fellows. Approximately 100 people attended the colloquium. Click here for photos and news about the colloquium.
Left Photo: Dr. Leonard Epstein introducing Dr. Wen Wee Ma at the First Annual Colloquium; Right Photo: Dr. Steven Fliesler at the First Annual Colloquium.